Pages

11/20/11

Pay It Forward

I had an unusually good morning considering I slept horribly last night. My mind refused to settle, it was full of plans and ideas and worries and lists. Then I was texted out of my restlessness about dying fish and bitchy girlfriends, which had more in common in my mind than probably true and it was making it hard to concentrate. Or maybe it was the fact that it was after 4am... I listened to my overly type A boss rant about personal problems at 6am which helped me wake up a bit. And when she had strayed so far off on some random tangent that I felt confident she would never navigate her way back to her original point (which was about a guy at her job, but for some reason we were talking about orange drop cookies) I hurriedly changed the subject to the weather and my cold cold car outside. By then it was nearly 7am... but that's actually relatively good for her. Her therapy is venting and I'm her captive audience 5 days of the week.

So that was my mediocre start to my day... but once outside it was like a winter wonderland. Don't get excited, it wasn't snow. But the frost was so thick it looked that way at fist glance. It was beautiful. The sun was starting to come up so the lighting was perfect and the birds were reverberating off every icy wall. Outside was an amazing symphony of morning sounds. My car was of course frozen shut and it was like sitting in an icebox once I got in. So I played Mario on the DS while I waited for my car to warm up. Probably 5 minutes went by (I got a star!) and someone scared me half to death. All of a sudden something hit my windshield and started scraping my ice off. It took me a minute to see anyone then a chubby face appeared in the hole he'd just made, smiling like the Cheshire Cat. Some guy warming up his car had seen me get in mine and he said he just watched my car for what seemed like forever and nothing happened so he decided to help. He proceeded to scrape all the glass on my vehicle and waved, smiled and left. It made my morning!

It really did. I hope that guy realizes he made my boring start turn into a wonderful morning. He made me really want to do something nice for someone else today. Pay it forward... and hopefully that person will pass it along too. It's a contagious feeling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails