Pages

9/13/09

Standing Between My Rocks and the Hard Place

I never appreciated certain songs before I was single. Or, I guess, before I had my heart broken. Single isn't  the key point, it is how I got to be single and how that has damaged my esteem. Experiencing different emotions makes you hear and observe your surroundings much differently. Music has changed for me. Songs sound better and the lyrics make more sense now. I can finally appreciate a good woman empowerment song, or a sad love song. How the words seem to mock and jeer at your excruciatingly similar feelings, leaves you with a pumped, perhaps even masochistic, energy. Art has always stood out to me. I can understand and feel the meaning behind a piece of work quite viscerally. But the songs on the radio were just words to me, set to a catchy tune and synthesized to be audibly pleasing. Lyrics were constructed out of preset words that rhymed and grooved. But for some reason something opened my ears and mind, because I can hear the messages that are so similar to my experiences.

I am stronger and better now, my senses seem to be clearer and I am viewing my world as almost new. Retraining your system to feel and act differently is tiring, but sometimes it's your only choice. And when fate intervenes and shakes the snow globe that is our world as we know it we have to adjust, evolve, change. Our situations and lives are in constant motion. Our relationships are blossoming and maturing and sometimes dying off to make room for something new to attract our attention. The constants in life are only visible from a far. Communication is constant however the assortment of words is endless. Music is a beautiful constant yet the musicians are ever changing. I can see the constants in my life now. Just like my newly formed musical appreciation my mind is opened to the truths I had overlooked so many times before.

   




2 comments:

  1. I don't know what happened, Tina, But I'm sorry I see you and hear about you less. The whole thing makes me sad :( I hope you'll end up the better for it. You will, won't you?

    -sara jo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails