Pages

4/9/11

A Day Unexpected

So yesterday was one of those days that by the end of it, I had no idea how I had gotten there from where I started. Only one of my original plans for the day worked out, and that was because it was fool proof once I put it in the crock pot.


 Not that I am complaining, I spent my day with my favorite people, and my favorite new people.


I was going to take Dime to the nature preserve between where I live and my job, but instead we took him to the creek so he could play in the water. And he freaked out. I don't know if it was the fact that it's been a week or so since I've taken him anywhere where he can really run or just the nice weather mixed with the fact that both of his favorite people were taking him to his favorite place to play, but he went ape shit as soon as I let him off the leash. He didn't even let us work our way down the side of the ravine, he brought me a stick to throw as soon as he physically could. It was like he had to fit in every millisecond of playing in that he possibly could before we snapped the leash back on and took him back to his cell.



It wasn't as warm as I would have liked, but it was sunny. Which I was thankful for, because on the way to our spot I slipped in the creek and got my whole right shoe soaking wet. It's been worse, I've tripped and pitched the Flip into the water before and I've dropped my phone a few times too. You would be surprised what can withstand being dunked as long as you take it all apart and let it air dry immediately after. Not that I am advocating throwing your electronics in the sink, it's just not necessarily the end all - be all if you have a water related accident.


On the way back to the car Dime made a most unexpected discovery on the trail. He found a baby bird. He wanted to keep it and play with it in his mouth for a bit, but we rescued the baby from Dime's oversized playfulness just in time. Being the animal lovers that we are we were a little dumbstruck as to what to do, and after some deliberating phone calls to Moms we took it home with us. I made it a little bed and feed it sugar water every hour or so. I'm pretty much positive now it's an adult hummingbird with a broken wing. It's made it through the night and even left me a few presents showing it's not too sick to poop. Which should be a good sign. But I need to take it somewhere where they know what they are doing.

But for now I have a pet hummingbird named Birdy. I know I shouldn't name it... deeper connections... harder to let go.. yada yada yada... It's just who I am. I have to call it something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails